Bicycles are considered a means of transportation by most Indians, while some also consider cycling a sport or a hobby. That’s why bicycle brands offer many types of bicycles to serve different purposes at different prices.
When it comes to choosing bicycle brands, you may get confused between Indian bicycles vs Imported bicycle brands. Like what features both bicycles have and which one is perfect for your riding style.
Have you ever wondered why imported bicycles are more expensive than Indian bicycles? Don’t worry! We would explain the difference between Indian and Imported bicycle brands in this article so that you can decide which one is perfect for you.
Well, Indian and imported cycle brands differ in a number of ways, including quality, durability, design, and price. Let’s see them in detail.
Features of Indian Cycle Brands
Indian bicycle brands are known for their durability and sturdiness, as they are designed to withstand rough Indian terrain and conditions. They are made from high-quality materials such as Iron, steel and aluminium, making them sturdy and strong for handling heavy loads on all terrains. Let’s see more features of Indian bicycles:
1. Locally manufactured on a large scale
Most Indian bicycle brands manufacture their bicycles locally on a large scale for reducing manufacturing costs. That’s why these bicycles have minimal designs on the frame, and low-quality welding, also they are not made using innovation and technology.
2. Indian bicycle frames are strong and heavy
One of the major features of Indian bicycles is the durability of their frames. The frame is heavy & strong because they are made from Iron and steel material without focusing on weight management. Also, Using these materials, the cost of manufacturing a bicycle is reduced.
With the increase in demand for Imported bicycles, Some Indian brands such as Firefox, Montra, OMO, and Hercules have started manufacturing aluminium alloy frames which are lightweight, anti-rust and corrosion.
3. Less selling price (starts from 5000 rupees)
Indian bicycles are affordable to the average Indian consumer as compared to Imported bikes. Why is It so? Because Indian cycles have heavy frame material, cheap (Chinese) components and zero import duty.
However, a few top Indian bicycle brands (Firefox, Ninety-One and Montra) have started selling premium bikes (alloy frame & branded components) at a good price (around 50000 rupees) in India.
4. Cheap components and spare parts
Most Indian bicycle brands use cheap components and spare parts because their bicycles are manufactured on a large scale. Ludhiana is the factory of the Indian bicycle Industry where bicycles and their spare parts are manufactured without focusing on quality. They just copy the design and fit them in the bicycles, selling bicycles at cheap prices.
Must Read: Name of all bicycle parts with photo
5. Low maintenance cost
The price of Indian bicycles is low because of less innovative designs, and cheap spare parts. Therefore, they don’t require much maintenance. If any part/component is to be replaced, it will cost you only a few hundred rupees.
6. No Import duty
All Indian cycle brands manufacture and sell their bicycles in India, so they are not required to pay Import duty on bicycles which reduces some costing (plus points for Indian cycle brands).
However, they pay import tax on importing some bicycle parts such as derailleurs & shifters of Shimano, Microshift and Sram’s company. You would find components of these brands on MADE-IN-INDIA bicycles too!
Also, Indian bicycle brands also offer a wide variety of models and styles to suit different needs and preferences. For example, there are models designed for city commuting, models designed for off-road adventures, and models designed for long-distance travel.
Indian bicycle brands also offer a range of different gears and braking systems, allowing riders to choose the best option for their needs.
Features of Imported Bicycles
1. Innovative Designs using technology
Imported bicycle brands, on the other hand, are known for their high-quality materials and advanced technology. They are often used by professional cyclists and enthusiasts and are designed for performance and speed.
They are made from lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, titanium, and composite materials which make them faster and more responsive to ride. Imported bicycle brands often feature advanced technology such as electronic shifting and suspension systems, which enhance the riding experience and improve performance.
2. Lightweight Frame material
One of the major features of imported bicycle brands is the high-quality materials they use. Imported bicycles are made from lightweight and robust materials such as carbon fiber, titanium, and composite materials.
These materials make the bikes faster, more responsive, and easier to handle. The frames are also designed to be aerodynamic, which improves the bike’s performance and speed. This makes imported bicycles ideal for racing and competitive cycling.
Best Lightweight Indian Bicycles Reviewed by Cycling Guru:
3. Various types of bicycles for all purposes
Imported bicycle brands also offer a wide range of models and styles to suit different needs and preferences. For example, there are models designed for road racing, models designed for mountain biking, and models designed for triathlons. They also have a wide range of different gears and braking systems, which allow riders to choose the best option for their needs.
4. Advanced technology
Another feature of imported bicycles is the advanced technology they have such as they are often equipped with electronic shifting and air-suspension systems, which enhance the riding experience and improve performance.
They also feature advanced aerodynamic designs, which make the bikes faster and more responsive. This technology makes imported bicycles ideal for competitive cycling and racing.
5. Very expensive to Indian consumers
In terms of price, imported bicycle brands are generally more expensive than Indian brands, but offer higher quality and design. They are geared towards professional cyclists and enthusiasts who are willing to invest in high-quality, high-performance bicycles. Indian bicycle brands, on the other hand, are more affordable and accessible to the average Indian consumer.
Difference Between Indian and Imported Bicycle Brands
As you can see, Indian and imported bicycle brands differ in durability, design, technology, and price. Indian bicycle brands are known for their durability and sturdiness and are generally more affordable to average Indian consumers.
While Imported bicycle brands are known for their high-quality & lightweight materials and advanced technology, but at a higher price point. Which may not be suitable for average Indian consumers.
Disadvantages of Indian Bicycle Brands
Indian bicycle brands have a few disadvantages that are worth considering when making a purchase.
- One of the main disadvantages is the lack of advanced technology and design compared to imported brands.
- Indian bicycles may not have the same level of technology and design as imported brands, which can make them less efficient and less comfortable to ride.
- They may also lack the same level of aerodynamic design and lightweight materials, which can affect performance and speed.
- Lack of after-sales service and support because some Indian bicycle manufacturers may not have the same customer service and support level as imported brands, making it difficult to get repairs or replacement parts if needed.
- Most Indian bicycles are very heavy and therefore not perfect for racing and long-distance riding. you may find that it’s not as well-suited for the terrain as an imported bicycle would be.
- Indian bicycles may have a more traditional and basic design, which can be less attractive to some riders.
Overall, Indian bicycles have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. They are known for their durability, and sturdiness, and are generally more affordable, but may lack advanced technology and design.
Disadvantages of Imported Bicycle Brands
On the other hand, imported bicycle brands also have some disadvantages worth considering.
- One of the main disadvantages is the high price point. Imported bicycles are generally more expensive than Indian brands, which can make them less accessible to the average consumer.
- High maintenance cost: This high cost can also make it difficult for riders to afford replacement parts or repairs if needed.
- In terms of design, imported bicycle brands may have a more modern and sleek design, but they may not appeal to everyone. Some riders may prefer the more traditional design of Indian bicycles.
- The lack of availability of components for Imported bicycles in India can also be challenging when replacing any parts.
- No skilled bike mechanics for such Imported brands when tuning up or servicing.
- Indian roads are not suitable for Imported bicycles.
Overall, Imported bicycle brands are known for their high-quality materials and advanced technology, but are typically more expensive and may not be as well-suited for Indian terrain and conditions.
Conclusion: Indian vs Imported Bicycle Brands
When it comes to choosing between an Indian or imported bicycle brand, it ultimately depends on an individual’s specific needs and preferences. As you know Indian bicycle brands offer durability and sturdiness, and are generally more affordable, making them more accessible to the average Indian consumer.
While Imported bicycle brands offer high-quality materials and advanced technology, but at a higher price point. Both types of brands have their own advantages and disadvantages; it is up to the consumer to weigh the options and decide.
Overall, it is important to consider factors such as durability, design, and price when making a decision on which brand to purchase.
- Schnell Cycles vs Firefox Bikes: Which one is best for you?
- Is Leader Cycle a Good or Bad Brand: Should you buy or not?