In India, there was a time when no one wanted to own a bicycle because it has been considered the poor man’s vehicle. Now cycles have become the talk of the town.
Today, The bicycle market has expanded and now includes various types of cycles in India which are in high demand. In India, Cycling is on the rise thanks to Covid.
You must have seen different types of bicycles on the roads or in cycle shops. To name a few, there are hybrid bikes, road bikes, electric bikes, MTB cycles, folding cycles and gearless cycles.
Do you know about each type of bicycle and its purpose?
If your answer is No, this article will help you understand the various kinds of cycles available in India and their uses. Hence, You will be able to choose the right cycle for yourself.
21 Different Types of Cycles in India
You know what when the bicycle was invented, it didn’t have a chain, pedals, or tires and was made from wood. Bicycles evolved during each century.
Now we have more than 20 types of bikes for each type of purpose, we have road bikes for racing, mountain bikes for adventure, BMX for stunts, hybrid bikes for commuting and so on.
Let’s discuss them in detail, know which type of bike you need.
1. Road Bike: Perfect Bike for Professional Cyclists
Road bikes are also known as racing bicycles hence these are primarily designed for professional cyclists. It’s a very lightweight bicycle because it is made from carbon fibre or aluminium. Therefore it provides good speed on smooth roads.
Key features of a Road Bicycle:
- The tires of a road bike are very thin as compared to other types of bikes due to this it keeps the friction low.
- The handlebar of such bikes is bent down, therefore a cyclist has to bend down to maintain aerodynamics. Aerodynamics helps to eliminate air resistance.
- The frame of road cycles is made from aluminium or carbon fibre and has no suspension which makes road bicycles lightweight. As a result, it offers more speed somewhere around 20 to 30kmph(depending on cyclists).
- Road bikes have not got suspension as this cycle is mainly ridden on paved surfaces.
- Road bikes are very expensive as compared to other bikes. The price of a road bike starts from 30,000 in India and it can go up to lacs.
2. Hybrid Bike: Good Bike for Commuting
Another type of bicycle is a Hybrid Bike. Basically, This type of cycle is a combination of road bikes and mountain bikes. These bikes are designed for long-distance rides and for maintaining fitness. Therefore, this bike is suitable for beginner cyclists.
City Bikes: It is a type of hybrid cycle which is also known as a city bike. Basically, it is mostly used for commuting, going to college or school in your city. Such bikes have a carrier at the back to carry some luggage. You may find a basket in ladies’ city bicycles. A roadster bicycle is an example of a city bicycle.
Key Features of a Hybrid Bike:
- The tyres of a hybrid cycle are thick as compared to road bikes. Hence it gives a better grip on kinds of surfaces.
- Hybrid bikes have got front suspension fork which makes the ride more comfortable. It is the best cycle for commuting in cities as it can be ridden on all types of surfaces.
- When it comes to its frame, the frame is made from steel so it becomes heavier than a road bicycle.
- The speed of hybrid bikes is less than that of road bikes because of their heavy frame material, thick tyres and suspension fork.
- The handlebar of a hybrid cycle is upward to provide maximum comfort to the rider. And the wider saddle so that riders can maintain proper balance during long rides.
- The price of hybrid bikes is lesser than that of road bikes and it ranges from 10,000 to 30,000 in India.
3. Mountain Bike: Best for Adventurous Rides
The third type of bicycle we have is a Mountain bicycle or MTBs. These cycles are designed to ride on any kind of terrain you love such as off-road, unpaved roads, uphill or downhill etc. Basically, this type of bike is made for adventurous rides.
Some Special Features of MTBs:
- It has wider tyres as compared to road and hybrid bikes and therefore provides excellent grip while riding on any surface.
- The frame material of MTBs is made from steel which makes this bicycle heavier than the other bikes. And this increase the durability of a mountain bike.
- MTBs has got two types on the basis of suspension i.e., Hardtail MTB(have front suspension only) and Dual Suspension MTB (both front & rear suspension).
- Mountain bikes have a wide range of gear(say 21 speed) so that you can select from the variety of gearing options while riding on different types of terrains.
- Generally, The handlebar of a mountain bike is flat to provide the optimum balance during adventurous rides on the rocks and hills.
4. Single Gear Cycles: Perfect Cycle for Beginners
As the name indicates, single gear cycles are those which have only one gear combination. Such a type of cycle is perfect for beginner cyclists as it is a hassle-free bicycle. You don’t have to worry about gear shifting while riding, just pedal fast to increase speed and vice versa.
There are two types of single-speed cycles:
- Free Wheel Single-speed cycles: The rear hub of this type of bicycle is not locked (fixed), which means you can freely move the bicycle without pedalling, it won’t stop.
- Fixed Gear Bicycles or Fixies: The rear hub of this type of bicycle is locked so that bicycle doesn’t move without pedalling. You hardly find brakes in this type of bicycle as it is made for professional cyclists to ride in a cycling race.
Related Article: Know more about single-speed bicycles and non-gear cycles.
5. Fat Bikes: Best Bicycle for Heavy Weight Person
Oversized fat tyres are the hallmark of these cycles, as they have the name fat tyres Bike. These types of cycles are suitable for riding on the snow, at the beach, on the muddy surface and on rocky hilly surfaces. If you are looking for a bicycle for heavy weight person, this is the best bike.
Key Features of a fat tyre Bike:
- It has extra-wide tyres which make this bicycle very unique. And it offers excellent grip and cushioning while cycling.
- You would find suspension at the front for shock absorption while riding on rocky terrain.
- Fat Bikes are heavier than the other categories of bicycles therefore it is considered the best cycle for heavy person.
6. Folding Bikes: Good for Commuting
If you don’t like public transport and are looking for a bicycle for commuting then get yourself a Folding Bike. As the name implies, Folding bicycles are very light and can be folded easily. Hence, it can be kept in a large size suitcase and can be carried as luggage anywhere you want. If you don’t have enough space at home, folding cycles are made for you.
Key Features of Folding Bicycles:
- Generally, Folding bikes have smaller wheels size (mostly 20 inches) so that they can be conveniently folded and carried anywhere.
- The saddle, Handlebar and frame are adjustable as per the height of the rider and at the time of folding the bikes. This type of bike is easily assembled and dissembled.
- The handlebar and saddle of the folding cycles are raised up(with or without suspension) and they can be adjusted accordingly.
7. Touring Bikes: Best for Long-Distance Rides
Long-distance bike tours can be completed on these bikes, which are almost like traditional road bikes. As it looks like a road bike but touring bikes are primarily designed for riding on paved and unpaved surfaces. Because it has thicker tires than a road bicycle. A self-supported long-distance ride on one of these bikes will be enjoyable with good durability.
Some Special Features of a Touring Bike:
- It is possible to attach fenders, pumps, lights, racks, water bottles and even other accessories to touring bikes, thanks to the multiple attachment points.
- Designed especially for gravel roads, therefore touring bikes have wide or semi-knobby tires.
- In addition, both the front and rear racks are equipped with highly durable frames that facilitate the carrying of heavy loads.
- The longer wheelbase on a touring bike reduces the centre of gravity and hence it provides more control to the riders during long distance rides.
- Disc brakes are also found on most touring bikes, which gives more confidence to the rider while riding on unpaved surfaces because disc brakes have amazing stopping power.
8. BMX Bike: Best Bicycle for Performing Stunts
BMX bicycles are specially designed for performing stunts and bike tricks. And If you are looking for the same, then a BMX bike is suitable for you. This type of bicycle is not suitable for commuting because it has a smaller frame and wheelbase and is not comfortable at all.
Some Special Features of a BMX Bike:
- A BMX bike is a 360-degree rational which helps a rider perform stunts easily.
- Due to its small frame and wheels, it is one of the smallest bicycles. BMX bikes are also best for children.
- The components of BMX bikes are strong and durable because it is used for performing bike tricks so it needs to be strong.
- In a BMX bike, the flat handlebar is raised up and the saddle is down which does not offer a comfortable riding position to a rider while sitting.
- In spite of their small size, the bikes are strong and can handle the weight of an average adult while performing the stunts.
- BMX bike has only a single gear because it is a stunt bike Also It doesn’t have brakes so it is not good for riding on the roads.
9. Electric Bike: Good for Uphill Riding
It’s a normal bicycle with a battery and an electric motor. That’s why it is called an e-bike. Electric bicycles are becoming popular in India because of their amazing features. The battery is chargeable and also comes with a brand warranty so you don’t have to worry about it.
This type of cycle come in two different variants which are a Single-speed e-bike and a Multi-speed electric bike. Nowadays, mountain bikes are also available in electric variants.
How electric bike works:
An electric bike helps you to go faster by using very less energy. When you pedal an electric bike then the motor also works which enhances the speed of the bike. Uphill riding becomes so easy with this type of bicycle.
Note: Electric bicycles are quite expensive as compared to other types of bikes, It is recommended to buy e-bike Insurance for them. It will protect your bike and cover all types of losses.
10. Recumbent Bike: Very Comfortable like a Chair
A recumbent bicycle is also known as a non-traditional bike because the rider sits in a seat in a laid-back reclining position. Basically, a rider allocates his weight comfortably on a wider area which is supported by the backbone and sit bones. This bicycle gives the feeling of a chair while riding.
There are two, three, and four-wheel recumbent bikes are available in the market, and the steering can be either under or above the seat.
A common drawback of recumbent bikes is that their form and design prevent them from standing up while pedalling up hills.
11. Cruiser Bike: Best for Commuting in Cities
In comparison to other types of bikes, cruiser bikes are classified as “specialty bikes” that are used for very specific purposes. It is a bike designed for leisurely rides, so it is used for going around town and the neighbourhood on a leisurely basis.
Generally, most cruiser bikes have wider tyres than the other pavement bikes which offer excellent grip and stability. It usually comes with super comfortable seats that allow for relaxed seating positions, as well as an internal gear-driven rear hub that makes maintenance easy.
12. Cyclocross Bike: Good for Cyclocross racing
Cyclocross Bikes are specially designed for surfaces like dirt trails or a combination of paved and unpaved roads with gravel and grasses. Such types of bicycles are basically used in cyclocross races around a dirt trail which have various obstacles and stoppages placed at various points. The objective of such barriers between the race is that a cyclist has to stop in between the race and carry the bicycle for till the obstacle finishes.
Key Features of a Cyclocross Bike:
- As this type of bike is used in cyclocross racing, hence they are very lightweight and also come up with tough and sturdy material.
- The tyres of cyclocross bicycles are partially knobby which provides better traction on any kind of terrain.
Types of Bicycles in India: According to Gender & Age
Different Types of Cycles in India: According to Specialty
FAQs: Type of Bicycles in India
What type of cycle should I buy?
There are various types of cycles available in the market, you can buy any one of them. You should buy a cycle which fulfils your requirements. Because each bicycle has unique features and is made for different purposes. If you don’t know the kinds of bicycles we have in India. Read above.
Which type of cycle is best for weight loss?
Bicycles are the best and the cheapest option for reducing weight. Yes, guys, cycling helps to reduce weight. But Which bicycle is best for weight loss. You can buy any normal cycle such as a Hybrid bicycle, MTB cycle, Fat Bike or a road bike if you are not a beginner. These types of bicycles are best for weight loss.
Which type of cycle is best for a long rides?
Touring bicycles are primarily designed for long distance rides. This bicycle comes up with both variants i.e., geared and non-geared. You can choose any which you prefer. Gear cycles need a bit of maintenance as compared to gearless cycles.
What are fat Tire Bikes good for?
Fat tire bikes are heavier than the other categories of bicycles. Therefore, It is suitable for carrying the weight of a heavy person. Fat bicycles are the best option for heavy-weight adults.
Bottom Line: Different Types of Bicycles and Their Uses
Now, You know all the major type of cycles in India. If you want to buy a bicycle for yourself, You can pick any of the above-mentioned bicycle types which fulfil your needs.
Once you know the type of cycle you need, you need to check the other important factors while buying a bicycle online in India. You might get the wrong bicycle that’s why I say selecting a perfect bicycle which fulfils your all requirements is very complicated.
So guys that’s the end of the article on the different types of cycles in India.
If you have anything to ask related to bicycles or cycling. Feel free to ask in the comment section below.